One of the most important macro nutrients for your body recomposition, recovery and performance for women is… PROTEIN. Women need this just as much as men, in fact as we age, we will continue to lose lean muscle mass, thus lowering our metabolism if we don’t build muscle (and feed it well with – you guessed it – protein).
Once starting the Martino Fit program, it’s more than likely you’ll find yourself struggling to hit what may seem like a lofty protein goal. It can be difficult to hit your protein numbers because many sources of protein need to be prepared prior to consuming, so they are not often easily accessible in the pantry. Furthermore, rarely do we ever “crave” lean protein minus delicious fat or carbohydrates.
Here are 5 tips on incorporating more lean protein into your diet.
- Begin each meal with the protein source in mind. To hit your protein goals, you’ll want anywhere from 30%-40% of you overall calories to come from protein. Consider using the palm method when fixing your meal. A serving of lean protein is about 3-6 oz of chicken breast, one cup of plain Greek yogurt, eggs and a couple egg whites, tofu, etc.
- Consider adding a protein shake to supplement to your diet. One protein shake typically packs in about 20+ grams of protein, and the best part, if you find a good one, you’ll look forward to this addition to your diet! It’s no secret that my personal favorite for taste, quality and nutrition is Iconic. I love the pre-made Cafe’ Latte for a little caffeine boost as well as the chocolate truffle powder. Psss… Be sure to enter my code KAT15 for a discount at checkout!
- Have prepared proteins on hand. Since most protein needs to be cooked or prepared, it’s a good idea to have things like canned tuna, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, or pre-cooked chicken on hand. I even like to keep a couple turkey sticks in my glove compartment or purse for snack emergencies.
- Find foods you love with protein “baked” in. For example, because I know my weakness for chocolate baked goods, I created this recipe for double chocolate protein muffins that – when warm and paired with a cup of coffee, feels like a lovely afternoon treat. Here is the recipe to what have become a trending recipe of fellow MF’ers over time!
- Hide it in your drink :). One of the best inventions for hiding protein is collagen peptides. This is flavorless powder dissolves right into your beverage and you won’t taste a thing! Bonus: this product boast improved skin, hair, joints and more. Win win for our goals!
Tracking macros can be challenging at first, but with practice you’ll be off to the races, building nice lean muscle and getting that metabolism all revved up. Check out this awesome graphic that is likely to be a big help when you’re left with macros… but not sure what to eat! (source unknown).